While we don’t want to become reliant on high tech and broadband communications there are a number of excellent references and resources available for our use on the web. Here are some of my favorites and those suggested by Prepography’s readers:
- Prepography’s Bookstore: Fiction or Non-Fiction
- Prepography’s Android Application
- Risk Managment for Preparedness: A Prepography article that introduces a cognitive tool for evaluating and managing risks.
- Crime Tracking: SpotCrime is the “Most Comprehensive Online Source of Crime Information.” Enter your zip code and see what crimes have been reported in your area or sign up for alerts when crimes are reported.
- Spaceweather: Space weather forecasts as well as the tracking of dangerous solar flares/Coronal Mass Ejections, Geomagnetic Storm activity and tracking of near earth asteroids.
- Weather Forecasts from Intellicast: Source for several types of weather forecasts including local, national, and global mapping as well as storm tracking, travel maps and an influenza tracking map. There’s an interesting mood map as well where they track potentially mood altering weather events…hmm. Thanks to Prepography reader Dan in Seattle for the link.
- Wind Map of the U.S.: This map is actually an art project but the data’s pulled from the National Digital Forecast Database hourly. Great tool to monitor generalized wind direction for your region and start visualizing prevailing winds. Understanding the prevailing wind direction in your area gives you a jump start for planning immediate actions in the event of wind dispersed threat like chemical spills, airborne biological attacks and fallout or radiological events.
- Interactive U.S. Map of firearms used in Self Defense from GunsSaveLives.net.
Concealed Carry & Firearms Law Research Resources
Ammunition Price Search Tools
- Gun Deals: Crowdsourced reference to find which stores/dealers have the best current pricing by caliber/gauge
Firearms & Accessories Purchasing Tools & Sites:
- Gun Broker: Firearms sales / Gun auction. Pick up locally or have mailed through a local Federal Firearms License (FFL) dealer
- Beacon: Beacon is a Geospatial Information System (GIS) used by many local governments to track land ownership, fire protection services, ambulance districts, utility rights of way and of course…taxes. It may be available to you if your local government subscribes. Use for IPB (Intelligence Preparation of the
Battlespace Neighborhood) and for planning your own Operational Security (OPSEC).
- Google Maps: Mapping tool with overhead imagery capability and streetview allows you to do recon without ever leaving your arm chair.
- Google Earth: Google Maps on steroids….complete with 3d models of urban areas. Probably capable of doing line of site studies (if you’ve tried it let me know).
- Mapquest: Another great mapping tool with overhead imagery capability
Shelter, Clothing and Protection from the Elements Preparedness:
Personal Health, Fitness & Medical Preparedness:
- CitizenReady®: A standardized, national disaster health education program created by the American Medical Association (AMA) to provide critical medical and mental health information to help individuals protect themselves in a disaster or other serious emergency. Although the program is designed to be taught in person the lesson plans and materials are available online.
- SparkPeople: Free Diet Plans (thanks to Rachel, The First Lady of Prepography for the suggestion)
Precious Metals Pricing:
- Coinflation: Excellent tool for checking the spot value of precious metals as well as a source of melt value for current and historical coinage for US & Canadian coinage as well as select European Countries
- PCGS Professional Coin Grading Service: Many preppers end up with some collector grade precious metal coins in their collection. Here’s an online tool to help you estimate your coins ‘grade’ both to assess it’s value and if it’s worth sending in for formal evaluation.
Others Tools & Sites:
Government Databases & Reference Sites
Government Surplus Websites:
- GovDeals: Lots of fire and police equipment as well as utility company and heavy equipment
- GSA Auctions: Sells everything from vehicles to equipment to lighthouses
- Property Room: More general auctions but they want to be known for their seized items auctions
Andrew’s Note: Know of a great online tool that we haven’t listed below? If so… go to my Contact Page, tell me what the tool does and why you like it. Make sure and include the link. If I like it and it’s Self-Reliant or Prepping related you might see it pop up on this page.